Where (And How) I get my materials

There's always a little bit of mystery when it comes to me talking about gathering materials, or really what materials are involved in my craft. Now obviously, I can't disclose my secrets and tell you what materials I use for which ritual. But I can at least give some pointers to an aspiring neophyte, or someone who's just curious on knowing for the sake of knowing.

First and foremost if you check one of my previous posts, you'll see that I shared my insight on burning offerings. Now, that's more than enough of a clue to tell you that I use a lot of incense. I find incense very important when it comes to my rituals, as I believe all 5 of the senses should be involved at all times.

Let's start with some obvious altar basics. If there's something you're going to know about me; It's that I absolutely DO NOT like having middlemen when it comes to getting supplies. I really like my materials nearly untouched, and in pristine condition. I prefer always getting it from the maker rather than a distributor. For example, All of my incense. Whether it's sticks, cones, resin, etc; I get them all from one guy who makes it all by hand. This way I know exactly where I get my stuff.

Cloths, and Altar Supplies: I always get these from someone I trust, and someone who makes them by hand. Although, yes; you can get some factory made stuff, and it does work just as well. I prefer something handmade as there is always intent on quality and power when it comes to my supplies. All of my chalices, incense holders, candle holders, cloths, etc. All of them are handmade by an individual.

All of my candles: Every color, and every shape is made by a candlemaker. All by hand. I buy them in bunches, and cut them off by the wick when I'm ready to use them. Candles are one of the most important tools used in just about any ritual. I truly believe that candle quality is important. How it burns, and the color it has is incredibly important. One of the tougher colors to come by for candles is a true black candle. Most black candles are just either a very dark brown, blue, or purple. This is the reason why I work closely with a candlemaker, as I want to make sure that my black candles are truly black, and not some heavily shaded color. It's all in the details.

Precious metals. Now you're probably curious why some of the prices of the spells fetch in the thousands. Some of my spells need the offering of a precious metal. Usually either formed or in liquid form. I follow my methods to the book, and if a seal of an entity needs their sigil, or symbol inscribed on a gold disc. It's going to have just that! No shortcuts. I have some experience in metalworking, and have casted figurines, and shapes out of metal, though if I don't feel confident enough on my ability, I usually give my materials, and funding to a professional to do it for me. Some effigy statues for offerings are 3D printed to make the cast that the metal will be poured into, to ensure that it is absolutely perfect. Now knowing that I don't have access to a gold mine myself, I buy most of the gold from dealers I trust. I never reuse gold, or any metal in a ritual. It is usually re-melted under supervision, and given to local artisans as scrap or material for them to work on for their pieces.

Alcohol and Tobacco. Now I do not smoke nor drink. Not because of some spiritual belief, or practice I need to do. I just don't enjoy smoking, nor drinking. However, when I work with entities, two of their most prized forms of offerings is Alcohol and Tobacco. On their statues I usually pour the entire bottle on them, or fill a glass for them, and over the course of a few days to a week, I refill the glass for them. When it comes to tobacco, I burn it like incense, and put it in their designated offering bowl. Now these two materials are way too much to contact someone to make it completely handmade. Alcohol takes years to ferment, and store. And Tobacco is in a whole other industry. I leave it to the highest quality curators. Tobacco is usually offered in either ceremonial leaves, or in the form of a Cuban cigar. Alcohol is offered according to an entity's taste, and will be given the highest quality vintage I can offer it.

Offering flesh. Now obviously when I say this, I mean meat. Offering meat, or the carcass of an animal is important. I do make it very clear to my clients if they are okay with sacrifices if their spells require one, as I can skip the sacrifice altogether for them. I don't go for live animals. I prefer buying cuts of meat from a close butcher. Chicken hearts, whole pieces, etc. All of this is bought precut. I have learned in my years that the intent, and ceremony of slaughter is not needed, but rather the intent on the offering is. Giving the meat instead of slaughtering the animal in the name of the ritual can suffice.

==

Here is but a small peek at how I get the materials. To those who wish to learn more; I am always available to message.

-James

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enforcing Common Sense in a Ritual

The Practices of James

Let's talk about Negative Feedback